By E. Douglas Bomberger
In July of 1884, pianist Calixa Lavallee played a recital of works through American composers that all started a hugely influential sequence of such live shows. Over the process the following decade, enormous quantities of all-American concert events have been played within the usa and Europe, a circulation that fostered either the improvement and the notion of yankee song as a different artwork shape. A Tidal Wave of Encouragement-the name of that is derived from one observer's description of the movement-is the 1st in-depth learn of this crucial interval in American tune. delivering a complete heritage of the concert events in addition to designated money owed of the serious serious debate surrounding them, writer E. Douglas Bomberger finds how one decade formed the way forward for American classical track and intensely a lot impacted the best way we listen it this day.
Read or Download A Tidal Wave of Encouragement: American Composers' Concerts in the Gilded Age PDF
Best composition & performance books
Dr. Suzuki's writings and addresses, a few of which aren't in general on hand, are gathered the following to provide his philosophies at the mom Tongue technique and the schooling of youngsters with the Suzuki strategy.
Designed to supply the scholar with a radical wisdom of the rudiments of track, this article covers notation, scales, periods, time, adorns, transposition, chords, phrases and symptoms and abbreviations. entire with a variety of workouts and checks.
This publication reviews the influence of incapacity and ideas of incapacity on composers, performers, and listeners with disabilities, in addition to on discourse approximately tune and works of tune themselves. Composers with disabilities and the severe reception in their tune -- Musical narratives of incapacity conquer : Beethoven -- Musical narratives of incapacity accommodated : Schubert -- Musical narratives of stability misplaced and regained : Schoenberg and Webern -- Musical narratives of the fractured physique : Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Bartok, and Copland -- incapacity inside music-theoretical traditions -- acting tune and acting incapacity -- Prodigious listening to, common listening to, and disablist listening to
- E-Service Intelligence: Methodologies, Technologies and Applications, 1st Edition
- A Practical Approach to 16th Century Counterpoint, Revised Edition
- The Sounds of Silent Films: New Perspectives on History, Theory and Practice (Palgrave Studies in Audio-Visual Culture)
- Fundamental Counterpoint
- Analytical Studies in World Music
- The Ashgate Research Companion to Popular Musicology
Extra info for A Tidal Wave of Encouragement: American Composers' Concerts in the Gilded Age
Calixa Lavallee (1842-1891) was well suited to the role of pioneer, with a visionary sense of what American music might become and the zeal to put his ideas into practical projects. Unlike most of his American contemporaries, Lavallee was educated in France rather than Germany, studying with Marmontel, Bazin, and Boieldieu at the Conservatoire national in Paris. "12 In addition to his landmark MTNA concert, he performed a series of five American piano recitals in Boston during 1885 and 1886, served as president of the MTNA in 1886/1887, and represented the United States at the conference of the Society of Professional Musicians in England in January 1888.
17. : A Society for the Promotion of Musical Art," 164. 18. : Ninth Annual Meeting," 18. 19. Music Teachers' National Association, Ninth Annual Meeting, at New York, 1885. Official Report (Music Teachers' National Association, 1885), pp. 141-42. 20. ," The Etude All (July 1886): 158. 21. These regulations may be found in the Official Report, Music Teachers' National Association, Tenth Annual Meeting at Boston, 1886 (Music Teachers' National Association, 1886), pp. : Preliminary Report of the Program Committee," MC 13/14 (October 6, 1886): 211.
The program was listed as follows in the MTNA's annual report: Gavotte Mazurka Sarabande and Scherzo Calixa Lavallee, pianist Adagio, from Quartette in C minor Movement for stringed instruments Schubert Quartette Cradle Song Scherzo, op. 41 Spring Idyll Volktanz Calixa Lavallee, pianist Sunset Ave Maria Regrets and Prelude Vagabond Dance Scherzino Arthur Foote Wilson G. Smith Stephen A. Emery J. H. Beck S. G. Pratt John Orth William Mason J. K. Paine Louis Maas Dudley Buck Mme. Luisa Cappiani Nettie M.